Monday, March 29, 2010

Lesson 11 Presentation - Google Docs & Slideshare - week 11

This was my presentation week and so I decided to create a powerpoint via Google Docs. I also thought it would be cool to take this opportunity to play around with Slideshare. I was pleased to discover that Slideshare allowed for uploading of Google Doc presentations, but was disappointed to see that my ppt looks funny in Slideshare. : (

I don't know why...maybe something with formatting? not compatible? Did I do something funny in the Google docs? I don't know, this will be something for me to figure out in the future. I tried to edit it in Slideshare, but it won't allow me to look at each slide...hmm..further exploration will be needed to fix it.

So for now, my Google docs ppt will be the one I will use with the class. But this little setback got me thinking...why use Slideshare?

Shortly after, I received an email from Slideshare that reminded me why it is a good tool (this was purely a coincidence...sounds more spooky than it was):
- view & download presentations, documents, pdfs etc on any topic you like
- embed into blogs, websites & wikis
- upload any formats: ppt, pptx, doc, docx, pdf, odp, Apple Keynote, IWork pages etc
- create a webinar or audio presentation using our free slidecasting tool
- embed YouTube Videos inside your SlideShare presentations
- use our event functionality to send conference invites, archive slide decks, publicise your event etc
- build cool mashups & widgets using our free APIs (for developers)

I think what appeals to me is the audio component and webinar feature. But other than that, Google docs works pretty good for sharing ppts.
I noticed that Slideshare allows for embedding of videos - but if you take a look at mine, the links and videos aren't live??? Hmm...what did I do wrong???

Anyways, here is my lesson 11 presentation on Learning Management Systems:

Google Docs Version

Slideshare Version

No comments:

Post a Comment