Sunday, March 7, 2010

Facebook and Twitter - week 7

Facebook

I did a search on school libraries here and was surprised to find the AASL there. But it makes sense - just another way to reach out, right?

It has given me something to think about - it really would be a good way to connect our library to our students since they are always on Facebook...I realized that I don't have to be their friends on Facebook. Rather, I could set-up a library account that is open to all and it could be used as an information page AND a page to connect them to our library page. Note to self...consider experimenting with this next school year.

Personally, I don't go on Facebook much - only to connect with friends occasionally (especially the ones who don't live in the city). As well, I like going on to Facebook and looking at their photo albums - it really is a great way to share a piece of your life with your friends. I'm still not that comfortable with posting my pictures up, but maybe one day...


Twitter

I will start by saying that I have mix feelings about Twitter. I see the potential for it and I've found some really cool current articles/websites from Twitter - so I really appreciate Twitter as a valuable pro-d resource (I love that it keeps me up-to-date on all of this). As well, I can see it being a fun experiment for a class project. I've already spoken to a teacher about it and we are thinking about trying it out for one of our collaborative project.

With that said, I find it kind of exhausting trying to follow everyone's tweet! I got so overwhelmed with everything going on, that tweeting just got moved down on my priority list because once you fall behind on the tweets - there's no catching up! But I guess I just have to deal with this fact and not try to catch up. Rather, I should just take this as a "in the moment" resource. If I can work it into a daily routine, then it will can definitely be a powerful tool/resource.

So I think if tweeting is to be manageable for me, I have to:
- explore another tweeting site like tweetdeck so that I can organize my tweets a bit more

-get tweets sent to my phone so that I would manage them on a more regular basis

Also, it would be great if our school district would unblock Twitter - this way I can work it into my daily work routine. I mean, since they've unblocked Facebook, I don't really see the point of blocking Twitter. How much more distracting are these two SNSs when they all have phones anyways? IM is just as distracting, so are we going to ban phones too?

No comments:

Post a Comment