Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Exploring continues - Week 2

I’ve subscribed to Google reader now and I’m following some of my classmates and some other people/sites.
I’m seeing the advantages of it now – all updates are in one place! I love that I don’t have to constantly go into "my favorites" and individually link to each of the blogs. This would be tedious. Who has time for that, when Google reader makes it so much easier to get updates?

I subscribed to a bunch of blogs that I think will be great for one of the topics the students are researching right now....it's all about seafood and sustainability. And the added bonus - students will love the combo of current info and using Google!

As an experiment, I’m going to suggest to one of my colleagues that we get his class signed up for Google reader and try it out. I see a lot of educational potential in this tool and would love some feedback from the students and teachers.

Tweeting away – so I updated some stuff in my twitter account on Monday – still adjusting to the fact that I’m tweeting!

But I’m beginning to see some of the benefits…it really is a great way to get current…VERY current information.

So what did I learn on Monday? Hmm…something like Google is a word in the dictionary and it officially means “searching the internet” and “Tweet” is the word of 2009.

Was this the most useful thing? Not really
Could I have survived without knowing this…yes, but it was an interesting fact nonetheless….and it was all because I tweeted!

BUT I did find out about a blog site that offers free e-books. So there you go…just like our libraries…there is a lot of weeding to do with the tweets…but there’s definitely some good stuff.

Now I just need to get used to the amount of tweets there are once you start following people! Gosh, this is overwhelming…I wish I had more time to read all the recommended websites/resources.

Next on my to do list:


• get to the readings, continue to follow ppl on twitter
• add some more subscriptions that are useful to me
• create a photo album via Picasa or Flickr.

I’ll post some pics of our library and the teachers with their fav. books – this was a project we did last year as a way to promote reading.

That’s why my profile pic. looks the way it does…honestly, I don’t go around posing with books all the time! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment