Monday, February 1, 2010

Reflection on Stephen's Interview with Harris - week 4

I really enjoyed this week's article and I feel that Chris Harris brings up some really important points in a much more positive and inspiring manner. I like how he has given us suggestions of things that we can create - like moodle, RSS feeds, discussion forum, and blogs. I particularly appreciate the specific example of Robert Eiffert's Bookblog. What a great idea! And the fact that two students act as facilitators and guides only serve to empower them and give them a sense of ownership in their learning. As well, other students will probably be motivated to participate in such a blog since it is led by their peers rather than teachers.

I thought it was cool that he mentioned discussion forums because we are in the process of launching a book review forum for our school - a place for our students and staff to review, discuss, and recommend books. We've only just started, but there's already been some posting and I'm really excited about this project. One of the English teachers is equally as excited and we've been working hard to sign her classes up so that she can use the forum as an online discussion thread for her novel study units.

Okay, back to the article...some things that stood out for me:

- calling it a "re-shifted school library" - I like it - it's not like what we're doing is no good...but instead we need to re-position ourselves so we stay relevant.

- his quote - "what I am saying is that if school libraries fail to make a digital re-shift, they are going to lose relevancy in the world of digital information" (Chris Harris 2006)

- school library space will be flexible, embrace technology and TLs will be flexible, support information literacy and knowledge management (Chris Harris, 2006)

- concept of "information commons" - which I've heard termed "learning commons"

No comments:

Post a Comment