Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reflections on the future - week 13

3.0??? Okay, it's taken me three and a half months to be comfortable with Web 2.0, I really don't want to think about 3.0 yet...especially not at the end of a course! :)

But we all know how fast technology evolves and changes and so I'm sure 3.0 is just around the corner and we will find ourselves having to adapt to the times once again.

As I read this week's article from furturelab and considered the questions in the lesson...I found myself answering with "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" a lot.

Honestly, I don't know what the future holds for us as educators, for schools, and for students...all I know is technology is changing the way we live life in this world. And whether we love it or hate it, technology is here to stay. And even though my parents are part of a generation that (I think) tries to avoid most of it and for the most part are successful at the avoidance...I am part of a generation and profession that cannot and personally, I don't want to avoid it all and be left completely behind...there are some things I really love doing now (even though I swore I wouldn't a year ago!) - like, IMing! Can't help myself now, even though I have to pay for each incoming and outgoing text...I enjoy it too much!

It was only yesterday my boyfriend asked me (after observing me spend 20 minutes texting back-and-forth)"why don't you just talk to the person?" My answer "good point" because our conversation would've been over a lot sooner we were talking to each other...rather, our IMing just dragged out the conversation! :) But still, I can't help it...I like it!


On one hand I am very excited by the thoughts of all the possibilities technology has allowed me to do...podcasting, wikis, etc...How great would that be, teachers, students, teacher-librarians, administrators working together to create an online community that extends learning beyond these walls.

But on the other side of things, I'm left unsure and worried by such questions like "will we need teachers and learning in the future, when information is so easily accessible?" Or the fact that student enrollment in public schools are decreasing and with budget cuts...will we even have a job in the future? Or would all learning be online? And the final thing that worries me is the fact that the world is moving into the 3.0, but our education system does not provide funding to public schools for such changes...so where does that leave all of us?

Anyways, the only thing that I am sure of is the fact that the future will constantly offer changes - some small and some huge - and the only way we will survive and make it meaningful for our kids and our students is being flexible and adaptive!

I will leave you with a blog that was sent to me by a colleague...I thought it was an interesting approach to education...maybe education 3.0?

No comments:

Post a Comment